Mass Haka for Olympic Rower
The Queen Charlotte College Kapa Haka group, joined by keen schoolmates, decided to show their support for Picton Olympic athlete Joseph Sullivan by doing a haka on video and posting it on YouTube.
Social Studies teacher and leader David Collins said a short introduction in Maori, then English, saying, ”We lay down a challenge for you, to reach deep inside yourself, to find the fortitude and the strength and the determination to overcome the obstacles and achieve your personal best.”
The haka, titled Tika Tonu, roughly translates to ‘What is right, is always right’, and its message is of challenge, struggle, perseverance and achievement. It is commonly taught to youths, as it contains a significant message of guidance, particularly when adolescent males are making the difficult transition to adulthood.
There are typically around 35 students that take part in the Kapa Haka group, however this number doubled for the video due to the enormous support for the local rowing legend.
Joseph is competing in the Mens double sculls rowing with team mate Nathan Cohen.
The London Olympics 2012 opening ceremony is on Prime Television, 7am Saturday morning, NZ time, with the rowing to run from 8.35pm that night.
If you wish to view the haka head to www.youtube.com/watch?v=pth9pFGikbw&feature=plcp.
OTHER STORIES IN THIS ISSUE:
- Captain's Table, Letters to the editor, In brief...
- Spot the Knot and go into the draw for a years subscription.
- Leaping whale photo sequence from Marlborough filmmaker Paul Davidson of Byte Sized Productions.
- Picton Marine Brokers Tide Tables
- Sculptor Supports National Whale Centre
- St Joseph’s School Raises Funds and Awareness of Alzheimers
- Gifts to the Community
- Red Hat Society Comes to Picton
- We Need to Protect Ecologically Significant Areas
- Some Fancy Footwork
- The cut out guide of Seaport Happenings and Le Cafe Seaport Sessions
- Seen on the Scene
- Reflections from Picton Museum: Picton Museum News
- Library Lines
- Writer's Corner: This week a poem from Dale,
- On The Beat with Constable Newcombe
- Looking Ahead to Daffodil Day
- Local Business has New Face at the Front Desk
- The Picton Visitor Information Centre has a Facelift.
- New Mannequins
- St John Awards Ceremony
- Hyundai Santa Fe
- Go! Joe! Row!
- Swiftsure I Rows on the Thames
- Scoop's Sport with Sam Swain
- Support Waitohi in the final
- Diamond Anniversary – 60 Years of Marriage
Get your copy of the Seaport Scene at one of the following outlets:
- Picton: The Seaport Scene Office, FreshChoice, Take Note, Healthcare Pharmacy, Picton Library, On The Spot, Challenge Service Station, Picton Four Square
- Blenheim: Perrys Book Shop
- Win Coldplay tickets! Submit a photo of you reading the Seport Scene for a chance to win.
- Submit your poems or stories for the Writers Corner
- Send us your stunning images of the place we live.